Enjoy these Asian inspired sticky chicken wings, with tomato, soy sauce, Chinese 5 spice and pickled red onions
We’ve only recently discovered chicken wings and are making up for lost time. They are so well priced that they’re well within budget for everyone and they really tap into that has-to-be-picked-up, sauce-on-the-chin street food ethos that really gets us in touch with our food. You will need number of wings per person, 4-6 or so is a good starting point, but they are so cheap that you can afford to enjoy a big pile of them.
Here, we’ve coated them in a marinade and then baked them in the oven so they have a really sticky coating. A key ingredient are the sliced pickled red onions from the Baxters Deli Toppers range, but there are so many other ways you could use them. I can imagine a some on a juicy burger, but they work so well here with the sweet and spicy Chinese influenced sauce.
This is a great recipe for a week night supper; it doesn’t need a long marinating time – throw it all together and get it into the oven. The sweetness of the sauce combines with the onions, and so you absolutely have to remember to scrape round the edges of the baking tray for the crispy bits. You don’t get that from street food.
These would be great served with my asian slaw.
Baked sticky Asian chicken wings
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 pinch Chinese five spice
- 10 chicken wings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 jar Baxters Deli Toppers Red Onion
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion (sliced)
- 1/2 small chili (sliced)
- Optional dipping sauce:
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the garlic, honey, tomato ketchup, sweet chili sauce and dark soy sauce and Chinese five spice in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken wings and mix together well – make sure each wing is well coated in marinade.
- Add a dash of oil to a small roasting dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with the Baxters Deli Toppers Red Onion, and layer the chicken wings on top.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, and top with sesame seeds, sliced spring onion and sliced chili.
- Mix chili sauce and dark soy sauce and serve a dipping sauce.
- Sarah’s sticky salmon burgers
- Jac’s double red onion and potato bake
- Katie’s avocado, mozzarella, tomato and red onion flat breads
Other items in the range include red onion, spicy slaw, red slaw and jalapeños. RRP is £1.49 from the major supermarkets.
Find out more about Baxters Deli Toppers on their microsite and enter their draw to win a jar.
Follow the conversation on social media with #GetTopping
Recipe for sticky Asian Chicken Wings commissioned by Baxters. All opinions our own.