A bowl of dal is one of my favourite comfort foods. Delicious, frugal and adaptable. This tarka dal recipe is made with red split lentils, some (non traditional) added cheese and topped with crispy onions – the tarka. You can make your dal as thick or thin as you like – scoop up thick dal with a naan bread, or add extra stock for a soup and eat with a spoon.
I made this in my trusty Redmond RMC-M4502E Multicooker, which I have now been using for over a year, and it has well and truly earned its place in the kitchen. This device will fry, stew, steam, boil, bake & slow cook with its 35 functions (initial review here). It is well designed (all the accessories fit inside the cooking pot) and it is perfect for the smaller kitchen, caravan or boat.
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions - sliced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp flaked chilli
- 210g | 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 fat clove garlic - minced
- ½cm ginger root - peeled and grated
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 50g cheddar or other strong cheese - finely grated
- red chilli & fresh herbs to serve
- Place the butter and olive oil in the muticooker, set to FRY - VEGETABLES, add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and fry, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes until the onions are sticky, reduced and golden. Remove from cooking pot and set to one side.
- Add a little more oil to the pot, and the spices, set the cooker to FRY - VEGETABLES and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the lentils and cook for another minute.
- Press KEEP WARM / CANCEL and set the machine to the SOUP programme, add the lentils, ginger, garlic and 2 cups of the stock. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes stirring occasionally, and adding more stock if needed until the lentils are mushy and you have your desired consistency.
- Stir in half the cheese.
- Serve topped with the onions, remains of the cheese and sprinkled with slices of red chilli and fresh herbs.
This split red lentils tarka dal recipe was commissioned by Redmond – I use a Redmond RMC-M4502E Multicooker currently priced at £49.
For more recipes using the Redmond Multicooker you may like