These easy vegetarian sausage rolls are packed with apple, cheese and sticky onion and wrapped in crispy filo pastry.
The humble sausage roll is a both a picnic and lunch box classic. In my view a sausage roll should be all about the filling, with the pastry being an edible wrapper but sadly all too often there is too much pastry and not enough filling. In a twist on the classic sausage roll I have filled this version with Quorn™ Meat Free Sausages, added cheese, apple and sticky onion marmalade then wrapped everything up in crispy filo pastry for the ultimate sausage roll.
These sausage rolls are suitable for the entire family, vegetarians and meat eaters alike and are delicious warm or cold. They can be prepared ahead and cooked the next day, or once baked quickly reheated. We really enjoyed these and did not miss the meat at all – I am sure they will become a regular in our kitchen.
Filo pastry is really easy to work with, but you need to be quick as it can dry out quickly; make sure the filling is finished before you take your filo out of the packet. If if starts to crack cover with a slightly damp tea towel for a few minutes.
- 6 meat free sausages - I used Quorn meat free sausages
- 2 salad onions - finely chopped
- 1 small dessert apple - cored & finely chopped
- 30g strong cheese - grated
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 6 dsp onion marmalade or chutney
- 30g butter - melted
- Break the sausages in half and peel off the outer casing. Put into a mixing bowl and break up using the back of a fork.
- Add the salad onions, apple and cheese and season well with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and use your hands to squish into 6 sausage shaped pieces, it will be very crumbly and will not want to stick together, but don't worry at this stage.
- Unroll the filo pastry sheets with the short end nearest to you, and brush the top one lightly with butter.
- Spread the onion marmalade across the middle at the bottom of the filo and place one of the pieces of sausage mix on it.
- Fold the edges of the filo in, and roll up the mixture inside the pastry. Brush with a little more butter so it all sticks together.
- Place the finished sausage roll on a baking tray.
- Once all 6 are ready bake at 200C / fan 180C / Gas 6 for about 15 minutes until the pastry is golden and crispy.
For more delicious meat free recipes using Quorn check out all their recipes on their website.
Easy filo sausage roll recipe commissioned by Quorn. All opinions our own.