These tomato and black bean burrito bowls have a spicy kick from pickled jalapeños. Naturally gluten free and easily vegan
Pickled hot peppers, like these Baxters Deli Toppers Jalapeños are so versatile. Depending on how much heat is your thing, they can spice up some nachos, a pizza or hot dogs, but we’ve used them here to spruce up some quick black bean burrito bowls with tomatoes, inspired by Mexican cooking and street food. Or try one of my 10 Pickled Jalapenos recipes!
This is a really quick and simple recipe; onions, spices, tomatoes and black beans and the jalapeños. To make it even quicker you can use a sachet of microwavable rice and frozen chopped onions – they are a freezer staple and one of my favourite time saving ingredients – simply pour as much as you want into the pan and fry from frozen. Perfect to pull together in a matter of minutes and then to eat relaxing with the latest box set. Serve with my cheesy nachos.
Black bean burrito bowls
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- tsp ½ smoked paprika
- 100 g chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp water
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tbsp pickled Jalapeños - - rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 can black beans - - 200g drained and rinsed.
- Fresh Coriander
- Sour cream
- Fry the onion and garlic until golden and fragrant.
- Add the cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Fry until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomato, water, lime juice and Baxters Deli Toppers Jalapeños. Cook until the tomatoes are soft. Add the black beans and cook until the beans are heated through – a few minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice topped with sour cream, avocado, lime and some more slices of jalapeño
- use a dairy-free sour cream to make it vegan
- Sarah’s spicy black bean nachos
- Katie’s Jalapeño cornbreads
- Jac’s Mini Margherita Muffin Pizzas with Jalapenos
Other items in the Baxters Deli Toppers range include red onion, spicy slaw, red slaw as well as the jalapeños. RRP is £1.49 from the major supermarkets. They are perfect to keep in the store cupboard and to use to add a little, or lot, of extra flavour to your dishes.
Find out more about Baxters Deli Toppers on their microsite and enter their draw to win a jar.
Follow the conversation on social media with #GetTopping
Recipe for black bean burrito bowls with jalapeños commissioned by Baxters, all opinions our own.
If you like this recipe, then try my healthy, tasty and filling 5 bean chilli recipe.