These crispy waffles made with leftover mashed potatoes and SPAM® are perfect for a leisurely brunch or weekend lunch. I really enjoy a sliced of fried SPAM®, or SPAM fries, but this recipe is possibly even better, topped with a fried egg and a good dollop of chilli sauce. Remember to make extra mash so you can make these.
Did you know that SPAM® was first sold in the USA on July 5th 1937, and first came to the UK in 1941 and rapidly became a popular alternative to corned beef?
Recipe: Crispy Potato & SPAM Waffles
- 400 g | 1 1/2 cups mashed potato
- 60 g | 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 scant tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 100 g | 1/2 small can SPAM® - very finely chopped
- 2 spring onions - finely chopped
- 15 g | 2tbs strong cheddar cheese - finely grated
- Drizzle oil
- Place the mashed potato, flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Mix in the egg, then the SPAM® (I used a food processor to chop mine), chopped spring onion and cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Switch on your waffle iron to a medium heat and allow it to come to temperature. Brush it with a little oil.
- Spoon the potato and SPAM® mixture into the machine and spread out - the mix does not expand so you will need more than you would of waffle batter.
- Cook until golden brown, carefully remove and serve.
Read more about the waffle make I use here for another SPAM breakfast idea try this avocado toast with SPAM.
Recipe commissioned by SPAM®
Nadia's Healthy Kitchen
I absolutely LOVE the idea of potato waffles! Looks amazing Helen :D
I am on a waffle kick at the moment!
Oh what a fab idea! I love spam – reminds me of my Dad’s fry-ups! I do love it fried so this is a wonderful idea.Will defo give it a go :)
I love fried SPAM. So so delicious.
Love this great modern way to use Spam, still hold a soft spot for it from school days.
I am obsessed by my waffle maker. Having great fun seeing what can be waffled.
My brother is a huge fan of spam – I’ll expect him to make me this recipe next time I’m home!
I loved fried Spam. So delicious.
the first recipe that has actually inspired me to try spam!
I really rather enjoy SPAM as an ingredient!
Sylvia @ Happiness is homemade
I would have never thought to add SPAM to waffles – they look super delicious. Beautiful styling Helen!
P.S I love your plate!
They were delicious Sylvia! Although I am obsessed by waffles at the moment.
I don’t do Ham but I love the idea of the potato waffles! and am sure the spam with them is super just not for me!
I am obesssed by my waffle maker. The most often asked question in my kitchen is will it waffle?
Spam and potato waffles? Sounds like the ultimate guilty pleasure to me!
Perfect for the morning after the night before too!
Spam waffles might be a step too far for me. I can’t remember ever having bought any! What an idea!
I quite like SPAM, it worked well in these and is also delicious frozen.